3.23.2008

Compare Foods

I have been interested in Compare Foods off Roxboro Rd for a while, but have never actually shopped there. All I knew was it was a grocery store with good prices and my only experience with that kind of establishment was Aldi's. Aldi's was crowded, small and pallets of food made up the isles. I was not really looking forward to repeating the experience, but when I made it out to Mami Nora's, I was convinced I needed to give it a chance, if only for to see how the massive size of it was organized.

This week they had collard greens on sale (3lb/$0.99) and I just could not resist. As we entered, I was shocked. It was totally not what I expected, definitely not an Aldi's. I felt a little out of place as everyone there was Hispanic and speaking Spanish (something to put on my to-do list) but then the produce section caught my eye. They had the largest variety of produce and it's quality was second only to the farmers market (from my experience). The fresh cheeses were practically irresistible (if only I had not just bought so much at Costco) and the selection of chorizo (drool), I may never have need to go to Whole Foods again (chorizo being one of the few things I buy there.)

The other thing I noticed about the store was that most of the people shopping there were following the suggestion of all the nutritionist I have ever herd. They were shopping the perimeter. We just had to look at all the frozen food treats, if you ever need fruit pulp of any kind, you now know where to go. I see popsicles in my summer future! But I think we were one of the only ones on the frozen food isle. Anyway, it is definitely my new favorite places to shop for groceries. Time to increase my Hispanic recipe repertoire.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I've just heard about Compare Foods myself and have been meaning to make it over that way. I am glad yet another person has found that this place is great.

Marsosudiro said...

Yay for you finally meeting Compare Foods! And thanks for the review of Mama Nori's. Good cheap food -- especially where soup is involved -- is a great thing.

Here's my own Compare Food blog, which is important only because it links to a few others (check out the one in the last comment!):

http://archerpelican.typepad.com/tap/2007/05/compare_foods_b.html